Cultural Weekly’s purpose is to generate discussion and provide a forum for great conversations about our creative culture. We’re looking for more people to write on this site. While we don’t pay (this site is a labor of passion), we offer you a great forum of smart, engaged readers.
Poetry is accepted by invitation only, except during our open submissions period. The next open submissions period is July 1 – August 31, 2014. We always remind readers via an article on Cultural Weekly’s front page when we are getting close to the open submissions period. Make sure you have subscribed to our email list, so you get our free weekly editions.
Article Submission Guidelines
1. Your guest article should come from your passion, personal experience and something you deeply care about. It must fit into what Cultural Weekly is all about (see above), and add to this exploration.
2. If you are a visual artist or prefer to express yourself in ways other than a written column, we’re interested in working with you to post your guest column. Please email us about this.
3. If you are writing, your first paragraph should start with something immediately newsworthy. This is your hook, your lead. Following paragraphs can move to your larger perspective. The style is informal – you should write like you talk. Provide links to other sites where appropriate. Plan to have at least two excellent images, at least 600 px wide, that are Creative Commons or that you have permission to use; image permissions are your responsibility.
4. Be provocative. Make people want to comment. Our readers are smart and educated, and so are you. Cultural Weekly is a place where you don’t have to hide who you are and what you know and believe.
5. You can write as long as you want, at least 750 words is best.
6. Please suggest or supply a jpg for art to go along with your column.
7. Please include a 1-sentence bio to run with your column.
8. We are happy to discuss your idea in advance.
9. We reserve the right to edit your article, and to decide if it fits Cultural Weekly’s mission and when to run it. If we decide to run it, we will provide you with uploading information so you can upload the content plus image; we will also provide screencast instructions.
10. When your article runs, we will publish it on the site, on Cultural Weekly’s Facebook page, Twitter feed, and send it to Cultural Weekly’s subscriber list. Your job is to send it to all of your contacts and friends, people you want to see it, put it on your Facebook page, send to all of your social media, etc. Also send it to other media (other websites, reporters, journalists, commentators) who may refer to it or link to it. If you would like to encourage people to subscribe to Cultural Weekly as well, that would be nice.
12. Let us know if you have any questions or wish to discuss anything. Have fun!